In a major expansion of strategic ties, India and France inked 14 pacts in key areas of defence, security, nuclear energy and protection of classified information besides resolving to deepen cooperation in the Indo-Pacific region and step up joint efforts to contain terrorism. French and Indian companies signed contracts worth USD 16 billion on the first day of President Emmanuel Macron’s visit to India on Saturday.
The agreements include education, environment, urban development and railways.
Macron, at a joint press briefing with Prime Minister Modi, said India and France have decided to work together to deal with threats of terrorism and radicalisation. Defence cooperation between the two countries now has a new significance, he said.
Both the leaders also talked about cooperation in the Indo-Pacific region.
According to Reuters, Macron’s office said some 200 million euros of investment would be made India. It did not provide a breakdown of the value or details of the business contracts.
HERE ARE THE PACTS SIGNED BETWEEN THE TWO NATIONS ::
1. AGREEMENT BETWEEN INDIA AND FRANCE ON THE PREVENTION OF ILLICIT CONSUMPTION AND REDUCTION OF ILLICIT TRAFFIC IN NARCOTIC DRUGS, PSYCHOTROPIC SUBSTANCES AND CHEMICAL PRECURSORS AND RELATED OFFENCES
Purpose: The agreement shall facilitate the two countries in combating illicit traffic and consumption of drugs and will also impact on the financing of terrorism.
2. INDIA-FRANCE MIGRATION AND MOBILITY PARTNERSHIP AGREEMENT
Purpose: This agreement will facilitate temporary circular migration based on mobility and the encouragement for a return of skills to the home country.
3. AGREEMENT BETWEEN INDIA AND FRANCE TO FACILITATE MUTUAL RECOGNITION OF ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS
Purpose: The purpose of this Arrangement is to facilitate the mutual recognition of educational qualifications.
4. MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING BETWEEN MINISTRY OF RAILWAYS AND SNCF MOTILITIES, FRANCE ON TECHNICAL COOPERATION IN THE FIELD OF RAILWAYS
Purpose: The purpose of this MoU is to build upon and deepen the mutual cooperation and focus on priority areas of high speed and semi-high speed rail; station renovation modernisation of current operations and infrastructure; and suburban trains.
5. LETTER OF INTENT BETWEEN INDIA AND FRANCE FOR THE CREATION OF A PERMANENT INDO-FRENCH RAILWAYS FORUM
Purpose: The purpose of this Letter of Intent is to enhance the already existing cooperation by creating an Indo-French Permanent Railway Forum.
6. AGREEMENT BETWEEN INDIA AND FRANCE REGARDING THE PROVISION OF RECIPROCAL LOGISTICS SUPPORT BETWEEN THEIR ARMED FORCES
Purpose: This agreement shall facilitate the reciprocal provision of Logistic Support, Supplies and Services between the Armed Forces of the two countries during authorised port visits, joint exercises, joint training, humanitarian assistance and disaster relief efforts etc.
7. MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING (MOU) BETWEEN INDIA AND FRANCE ON COOPERATION IN THE FIELD OF ENVIRONMENT
Purpose: The MoU aims to establish a basis for the exchange of information between the Governments and technical experts of the two countries in the field of environment and climate change.
8. AGREEMENT BETWEEN INDIA AND FRANCE ON COOPERATION IN THE FIELD OF SUSTAINABLE URBAN DEVELOPMENT
Purpose: The agreement will allow the exchange of information on smart city development, development of urban mass transportation systems, urban settlements and utilities, etc.
9. AGREEMENT BETWEEN INDIA AND FRANCE REGARDING THE EXCHANGE AND RECIPROCAL PROTECTION OF CLASSIFIED OR PROTECTED INFORMATION
Purpose: This agreement defines the common security regulations applicable to any exchange of classified and protected information.
10. IMPLEMENTING ARRANGEMENT BETWEEN INDIAN SPACE RESEARCH ORGANISATION (ISRO) AND CENTRAL NATIONAL D’ETUDESSPATIALES (CNES) FOR PRE-FORMULATION STUDIES OF A MARITIME AWARENESS MISSION
Purpose: The agreement would provide an end-to-end solution for detection, identification and monitoring of vessels in the regions of interest for France and India.
11. INDUSTRIAL WAY FORWARD AGREEMENT BETWEEN NUCLEAR POWER CORPORATION OF INDIA LTD, AND EDF, FRANCE
Purpose: This agreement prescribes a way forward for the implementation of the Jaitapur nuclear power project.
12. BILATERAL ARRANGEMENT BETWEEN INDIA AND FRANCE ON COOPERATION IN THE MATTER OF HYDROGRAPHY AND MARITIME CARTOGRAPHY
Purpose: This arrangement will encourage cooperation between the two countries in the field of hydrography, nautical documentation and maritime safety information.
13. CREDIT FACILITY AGREEMENT BETWEEN INDIA AND FRANCE OF EUROS 100 MILLION FOR FUNDING OF THE SMART CITY PROJECTS THROUGH A CHALLENGE PROCESS
Purpose: This agreement will help fill the funding gap under the Smart City Mission and the funds provided by the Central and State Governments for the purpose.
14. MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING BETWEEN NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF SOLAR ENERGY (NISE), MINISTRY OF NEW AND RENEWABLE ENERGY AND THE NATIONAL SOLAR ENERGY INSTITUTE (INES), FRANCE
With this agreement, both countries shall work on projects in ISA member countries in the areas of solar energy (solar photovoltaic, storage technologies, etc.) through the transfer of technology and collaborative activities.
By: India Today
Source Link: CLICK HERE