India is collaborating with Russia on its first ever abroad atomic venture. The mission is to build the Rooppur nuclear power plant in Bangladesh. It will be the debut initiative under an India-Russia nuclear deal. The deal is to undertake atomic energy projects in third countries.
About the project ::
– The Rooppur Nuclear project will be Bangladesh’s first atomic energy project
– Two reactors of 1200 MWs each will be built with Russia’s help near Dhaka
– Bangladesh will become third South Asian country after India and Pakistan to harness atomic energy for energy purpose after the completion of the project.
More on India’s collaborations ::
– India and Russia had signed ‘Strategic Vision for Strengthening Cooperation in Peaceful Uses of Atomic Energy’ back in December 2014
– The main motive was to explore opportunities for sourcing materials, equipment and services from the Indian industry for construction of Russian-designed nuclear power plants in third countries
– India signed a civil nuclear cooperation deal with Bangladesh in April 2017. The deal stated that two sides can supply and manufacture equipment, material for atomic power plant
– The nuclear deal with Bangladesh allows Indian nuclear establishment to grow, internationally as for years it was not been able to grow due to sanctions imposed on New Delhi after the 1974 Pokhran tests.
By: India Today
Source Link: CLICK HERE